Help! What do I do?
We know using a new product can be daunting, and Exercism is a little complicated. So here's a really simple set of instructions to get you started.
- Sign up at exercism.io using either your GitHub account, or by using your email address and choose a password.
- If you sign up using an email address, you now need to confirm it. Look for the email, click the link, then log in.
- You will now see a list of all the language tracks you can join. You can click through as many as you want to explore.
- Once you've found a language you want to join, click the "Join Track" button.
- You will now be taken into your new track. You'll see a core set of exercises at the top and some side-exercises below.
- Start with the first core exercise on the track, which is normally called "Hello World". Click on the exercise to begin.
- You will see some information and some instructions on the left-hand side and a button on the right-hand side labelled "Begin Walkthrough". Click on this and follow the instructions.
- You should now have the CLI installed and the exercise downloaded to your computer. Solve the exercise and then upload it using
exercism submit /PATH/TO/SOLUTION
- In your web-browser, go back to the language tracks page, choose your exercise and the exercise you've just worked on. You will now see your solution online and notice that it is awaiting a mentor.
- A mentor will now come and give you feedback on your solution. This can happen really quickly (15 minutes) or take a little while (a day or two) depending on demand. In the meantime, you will find other exercises on your track are available for you to solve!
- Once you've received feedback, you can make some changes to your solution and then resubmit it. This will happen a couple of times before the solution is completed.
- Once the solution is completed you will unlock lots more exercises.
- You're now an Exercism pro! :)
- Fancy giving back to Exercism and helping others? We always need more mentors and track maintainers and we'd love you to get involved!