Thanks for being here! There are two stages to getting started. The first is to get involved in the community and the second is to try mentoring.
Joining the community
- We have a private Slack room for mentors. You should have received an invite when you signed up. If you didn't, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In Slack, introduce yourself in the #introductions channel.
- Join the Slack channels for the languages that you want to mentor in. There's a video here if you get stuck! There's loads of interesting and helpful conversations in these language channels and they're the first place to go if you have any questions about any of the exercises.
- Join the Slack #mentor-the-mentor channel, where you can learn to be an amazing mentor from other amazing mentors.
- Submit your bio to appear as a mentor on the Exercism website.
- (Optional: Post a testimonial on #testimonials if you've had previous good experiences of Exercism and want to give everyone some encouragement)
Now you're set up in the community, you'll want to start mentoring.
- Firstly configure the tracks you want to mentor.
- Next, have a quick read of our Getting started with mentoring guide. Depending on how confident you feel you might want to skim it over and just get stuck in, or have a thorough read to get a really solid understanding how the process works.
- Our Mentoring workflow guide will give you a quick walk through of how the mentoring section of Exercism works and show you the normal workflow.