Zebra Puzzle in Python
Solve the zebra puzzle.
exercism fetch python zebra-puzzle
Solve the zebra puzzle.
- There are five houses.
- The Englishman lives in the red house.
- The Spaniard owns the dog.
- Coffee is drunk in the green house.
- The Ukrainian drinks tea.
- The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
- The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
- Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
- Milk is drunk in the middle house.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
- Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
- The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
- The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
Each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of cigarettes.
Which of the residents drinks water? Who owns the zebra?
Sometimes it is necessary to raise an exception. When you do this, you should include a meaningful error message to indicate what the source of the error is. This makes your code more readable and helps significantly with debugging. Not every exercise will require you to raise an exception, but for those that do, the tests will only pass if you include a message.
To raise a message with an exception, just write it as an argument to the exception type. For example, instead of
raise Exception, you should write:
raise Exception("Meaningful message indicating the source of the error")
Running the tests
To run the tests, run the appropriate command below (why they are different):
- Python 2.7:
- Python 3.3+:
Alternatively, you can tell Python to run the pytest module (allowing the same command to be used regardless of Python version):
python -m pytest zebra_puzzle_test.py
-v: enable verbose output
-x: stop running tests on first failure
--ff: run failures from previous test before running other test cases
For other options, see
python -m pytest -h
Note that, when trying to submit an exercise, make sure the solution is in the
You can find your Exercism workspace by running
exercism debug and looking for the line that starts with
For more detailed information about running tests, code style and linting, please see the help page.
Submitting Incomplete Solutions
It's possible to submit an incomplete solution so you can see how others have completed the exercise.